Jobs Available at the Hancock County Library System
Hancock County Library System
Classification: Hourly, Non-Exempt
Reports to: Director/Business Manager
Summary Position Description:
Under the direction of the Director/Business Manager, this position is responsible for assisting with cataloging and classifying library materials based on current standards; authority control; and maintaining an accurate, up-to-date database of library holdings.
- Ability to organize work for efficient time. .
- Ability to follow established procedures and existing library policies.
- Ability to word process and type with reasonable speed and exceptional accuracy
- Ability to keep records accurately.
- Ability to easily navigate a Windows-based software environment with competence (Experience with Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel)
- Ability to maintain professional working relationships with branch and library system personnel
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform original (including complex) and copy cataloging of all formats of library materials to facilitate their identification, access, and use.
- Interpret and apply Library of Congress subject headings, the Dewey Decimal System, the AACR2, RDA, and the Online Computer Library Center (OCLC) manuals in cataloging and classifying library materials.
- Maintain authority records and perform needed authority work in the database.
- Consult with libraries in order to resolve cataloging and database problems, report trends in bibliographic services, answer questions, transmit information, and discuss options for handling library materials.
- Provide inventory support for library system.
- Perform database maintenance for bibliographic and authority records.
- Loads MARC record files and communicates necessary changes.
- Maintain the integrity of the integrated library system through authority file control.
- Performs all other duties as directed
The successful candidate will possess the following:
- Associate's degree required.
- Knowledge of computerized cataloging is preferred.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with library staff.
- Ability to use a computer and Microsoft applications such as Word and Excel.
- Demonstrates effective written and oral communication as well as group process techniques.
- Familiarity with automated integrated library systems and online searching and previous experience with Symphony is a plus.
- A valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and up-to-date automobile insurance
The qualified applicant must possess the following physical skills:
- Ability to sit for extended periods
- Ability to frequently stand and walk, bend.
- Ability to lift and move objects weighing up to 30 lbs.
- Normal manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination.
- Ability to use audio/visual equipment and electronic office equipment including, but not limited to computers, telephones, calculators, copiers, printers and FAX machines.
- Ability to work under conditions involving exposure to dust
- Ability to drive with valid driver’s license
The Hancock County Library System, headquartered in Bay Saint Louis, MS, is seeking an individual with proven leadership and vision to serve as Executive Director of the five-branch library system. Hancock County is situated on the beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast and is within easy driving distance of New Orleans and Mobile. The nationally award-winning library system serves a population of approximately 46,000 with an operating budget of $2 million. The position requires an ALA-accredited MLIS or current enrollment in an ALA-accredited MLIS program; at least 8 years progressively responsible professional experience; with four years in a supervisory or administrative capacity. The ideal candidate will have a team approach to management, have a thorough understanding of library technology, and be a visionary regarding library services. Hancock County Library System is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Salary: $60,000-$75,000. Excellent benefits package.
Additional information about the Hancock County Library System. Click here to see our employment application. Deadline for accepting resumes is January 16, 2018.
Qualified applicants should forward a resume (include email contact information), a cover letter that addresses each of the position requirements, and the names and contact information of three professional references to:
Hancock County Library System Search Committee
Bernie Cullen, Chairman
312 Hwy 90
Bay St. Louis, MS 39520
Deadline to receive applications is Tuesday, January 16 or until suitable applicant is found..