Jobs Available at the Hancock County Library System
Hancock County Library System
Title: Customer Service Clerk
Classification: Library Assistant I (Non-exempt)
Reports To: Branch Manager
Summary: Under the direction of the Branch Manager, this temporary/part-time position is responsible for providing a range of public services for customers of the Hancock County Library System, including circulation, information and assisting the public in use of automated information systems. This position will include work on evenings and Saturdays.
- Ability to work with all members of the public in a positive manner and to provide service that exceeds customer expectations.
- Ability to easily navigate a Microsoft Windows-based software environment. (Experience with library automation software, Symphony Integrated Library System, is desired, however, training is available and mandatory for all new employees)
- Ability to answer basic patron software questions on MS Office products, Internet searching and online form submittal.
- Ability to establish and maintain professional working relationships with branch and library system personnel.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Uses the library’s Symphony Integrated Library System (Windows-based) to circulate books, CD Books and DVD’s to the public.
- Looks up customer requests on the Symphony system and places items on hold.
- Provides services by telephone including renewing material, routing incoming calls as necessary, notifying customers of material being held for them, and answering inquiries
- Helps customers fill out and verify interlibrary loan/purchase request forms
- Empties book carts and outside book/video returns and checks in materials as needed
- Sorts and organizes material as they are returned by customers
- Shelves materials accurately on the shelves when needed
- Receives gift books and donations from customers
- Assists and registers new for customers for library cards
- Answers basic patron software questions on MS Office products.
- Answers basic questions about Internet searching and online form submittal
- Verifies completed customer registrations and checks for accuracy.
- Makes appointments for community groups to use library meeting room
- Prepares and issues replacement library cards
- Performs routine financial procedures including making change, collecting payments for fines and lost books, and providing refunds
- Assists with adult and children programs when appropriate
- Assists handicapped, hearing and print-impaired customers with library services
- Recommends patrons for Services to the Blind and Print-Handicapped
- Assists with opening, closing, and securing the building as needed
- Handles customer complaints and seeks to resolve service problems.
- Maintains a neat customer service work area and support area
- Sorts through donated material and packs for transport
- Performs any other duties as assigned
The qualified applicant must possess the following physical skills:
- Ability to sit for extended periods
- Ability to frequently stand and walk, bend.
- Ability to lift and move objects weighing up to 30 lbs
- Normal manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination
- Ability to use audio/visual equipment and electronic office equipment including, but not limited to computers, telephones, calculators, copiers, printers and FAX machines.
- Ability to work under conditions involving exposure to dust
- Ability to drive with valid driver’s license; possesses personal transportation
Graduation from a four-year high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate (GED). A minimum of two years public service experience is preferred.
Position open until filled.