- Learning Express Library: Practice tests, exercises, skill-building courses, eBooks, and information. Includes GED prep, practice tests for job licensing, tutorials on Microsoft Office through 2010 (including Word and Excel), and a whole section on finding a job.
- GCF Learn Free: Free online tutorials and guides, including Microsoft Office, Windows, email basics, mouse tutorial, iPad skills, career skills, mobile apps, money management, reading and math.
- Workforce Training: Pearl River Community College offers courses in Microsoft Office programs, ERSI software, EMT and CNA, commercial truck driving, and office technology. They also offer GED Classes.
Locate Available Jobs
- Mississippi Job Bank: The job site used at WIN Job Centers. Search jobs, post your résumé , and save your searches to use again.
- CareerBuilder: Search job listings by category, location, type, and keyword; upload your résumé for employers to view, and even get custom recommendations based on keywords in your profile
- Indeed: View jobs across multiple sites with one search (also available on your phone or tablet)
- Monster: Job search, résumé –writing tips, and company profiles. Apps available for iPhone/iPad and Android. Some services, such as résumé writing and distribution, are paid.
- Reference USA: Locate and research the companies you want to work for. Includes Human Resources contact details, business descriptions, links to employment listings, and company size.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook Online: From the Bureau of Labor Statistics, view profiles covering hundreds of occupations: What They Do, Work Environment, How to Become One, Pay, Employment Projections for the coming decade, and more. (En Español)
- Scams & Schemes to Avoid (from the Riley Guide): Know how to avoid fraudulent employment offers, especially work-from-home and other too-good-to-be-true schemes, and scams that will steal your personal information.
- Also see the Better Business Bureau article Look for Seven Red Flags when Searching for Jobs Online and the Privacy Rights Clearinghouse fact sheet “Avoiding Online Job Scams”:
Special-Focus Job Listings
- The Mississippi State Personnel Board: Find and apply for state jobs. Searchable by category and by county.
- Federal Jobs: Find and apply for federal jobs. Special sections for veterans, students and recent graduates, seniors, and persons with disabilities.
- College Recruiter: For college students and recent grads. Search internships and entry-level jobs, plus scholarships and research grants.
- NASA Shared Services Center (NSSC): Jobs through the public/private partnership at Stennis Space Center, in the areas of Financial Management, Human Resources, Information Technology, and Procurement.
- Louisiana Jobs: The LA equivalent of the WIN Job network. Find and apply for jobs in Louisiana.
Ace the Interview
- Interview Tips: All the basics on having a productive, positive job interview.
- How to Dress: Checklist for men and women, including what to avoid.
Submit Your Resume and Apply
- Résumé Tutorial: Simple summary of how to write your résumé .
- Résumé Dictionary: Résumé –writing tips including power words and skills (by category) to make your résumé shine.
These Sites Have It All
- MDES I Need a Job: Mississippi Department of Employment Security’s site for job seekers. Search jobs, get training, find more resources or check out the special pages for seniors and veterans
- Career One Stop: Explore careers, get education and training, perfect your résumé and interview skills, compare wages and salaries, browse job sites, and find state and local resources like unemployment offices.
- The Riley Guide: Internet job search pointers, Career Research Center, Networking & Support Groups, Job Coaches & Mentors, how to handle a job loss, and listings of recruiters and job sites.
- Job-Hunt.org: Job search tutorial, links to listings, articles and advice, how to protect your online privacy while job hunting, free eBooks, and online guides by state or category (including jobs for veterans, green jobs, etc.)